shabby blogs background

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Darling Little Chest Makeover

Hello Loves!



Before Picture of Cute Pink Chest

Today I wanted to show you a before and after that I recently completed for a client.  She had bought this at our store in Waldorf years ago although it was very cute it was also very worn and it was definitely in need of some loven. I think at one point in the conversation she had mentioned that she thought of taking it to the burn pile so that's when i knew i just had to save it :) I mean how could i live with myself if i let this darling little 3 drawer chest get destroyed!

BEFORE
I began to sand it down and clean it up Unsure of how I was going to transform this piece but I had some thoughts floating around in my head. Going off of ideas I gathered from my client ... she like whimsical, mosaics, colors with a girly flair, vintage, pattern fabrics. Sounds easy and fun doesn't it?!


I removed the old broken hardware and filled in the holes to get ready for the chic black knobs that I chose instead of handles.


 Instead of Applying a fresh coat of paint I left the pink strips barley visible and the added the trio of black distressed diamonds on the drawers.


 I then went threw my scrapbook stash and choose coordinating papers with greens and blacks and decoupaged them onto the panel insets on both sides. As I was sanding down the entire 3 drawer chest bits of green were popping out ~ this cute little chest must have been green in another life. Which is why I used paper scraps in green to match all that chippy goodness shining through.


 There was about a 4 inch backsplash header piece on the top, that was perfect for adding the mosaic art of broken china. I don't know why but its so much fun taking a hammer to dishes and breaking them up :) I mainly used floral vintage china ~ I know some of you are probably thinking WHAT?? but I only break up pieces that are already chipped or broken. Sometimes at auction I purposely buy the chipped up dishes just for mosaics ~ I have a HUGE stash nobody ever wants the broken plates. Mosaics are pretty time consuming but what a fantastic way to resuse broken china.


And lastly I Painted the inside of the drawers a bright bubble gum pink ~ can't get much more girly that that. I love the hidden surprise of painting the drawers a bold color. Plus it cleans and brightens up vintage pieces.


 I have one confession to make... Below is the "finished" picture getting ready to be delivered but then after speaking with this super cute 3 drawer chest's owner, I ended up painting the top Purple. I can't find my picture of the "Really Finished" Picture but let me tell ya ~ it looked awesome! It was the perfect shade of purple , I used Annie Sloan Decorative Chalk Paint custom mix of Louis Blue and Emperiors Silk. By painting the top a rich purple it really anchored the whole piece ~ it was a great addition.


Thanks for being here you are greatly appreciated!
Now go add some Whimsy in your life!
xoxox,
Erica

1 comment:

kathryn cain said...

this is fun,talk about playing with color and ideas for one fun piece....working on a dresser and I did some decopage too...just a different style hope tomorrow nite will be done and on my blog

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...